Friday, January 3, 2014

Her Highness, My Wife // Victoria Alexander



Her Highness, My Wife (☆☆☆☆☆)
By: Victoria Alexander
Series: Effingtons (5)
Genres: Romance ~ Historical
Pages: 384
Format: eBook

Um... okay. So far, everything of Victoria Alexander's that I've read, I've been able to finish. However, as I read more and more, they all start to read the same.

Her Highness, My Wife - it doesn't just read "the same"... it reads as dull. I'm a quarter of the way through the book, and nothing of substance has happened, except the revelation of some family heirloom she's searching for. No suspense, no realistic tension between the couple, no... nothing to keep me interested.

I imagine the story about the family jewels (literally) could be enticing to some. However, when you've read a quarter of the book and there's really been nothing except banter between Sir Matthew and Princess Tatiana. The banter even is half-hearted at best, on both sides. In truth, if two people went back and forth like these two did, it would be IMPOSSIBLE for them to not notice how the other person truly feels. Yet, Matthew still has himself completely convinced Tatiana means nothing (and she believes him) and Tatiana still believes... well, I haven't figured that out yet. Regardless, she obviously wants Matthew, and yet he's completely and delusionally ignorant of this fact.

There's been very little of the subplot to move the story along, and the main plot between Tatiana and Matthew simply isn't enough. At this point, I'd rather turn my attention to a book I may actually finish, than try to dredge my way through the rest of this one.

Yes, I emphasize the fact that I'm a quarter of the way through the book a lot - but that's because in a book that's less than 400 pages, SOMETHING significant needs to have happened by this point. Or at least hinted at being significant. If the rest of the book is like the first part, I'd die of boredom.

No comments:

Post a Comment